Noah Anthony Charles Wilcox | 21.06.17

On the 21st June 2017, at 20:27pm we welcomed little Noah into the world weighing 5lbs 12.5oz.

It all went a little like this..

We arrived at the hospital at 8:30am on Wednesday 21st June ready for induction. At 9am I was put on the monitor for 15 minutes before a midwife examined me. I was 1cm dilated, however she said because it had only been 2 years since I had Ella, it may be that my cervix hadn’t closed all the way. The midwife inserted the induction pessary and the waiting game began!

We were free to roam around the hospital grounds, so we had a walk around, sat in the sun and ended up eating lunch at 10:45am! (We had been up since 5am, so it was basically lunch time!)

Until 2pm, you are only allowed 1 visitor on the ward with you so my mum came with me about 11:30am so I could try and get some rest while lee went to the car to try and sleep. It was 30 degrees, everyone on the ward was boiling and the staff bought ice lollies round which were so welcome! 

Around 2:30pm I started getting some crampy, period pain type feelings. I didn’t think much of it and kept quiet for a little while. When I told Lee & my mum they had no idea when I was getting the feeling, it wasn’t painful at all, just a bit uncomfortable. We went for a walk in the hope it might get things going, but no joy so we went back and sat in the ward doing puzzles in magazines and on our phones!

About 5:45pm I decided to ask for a birthing ball to bounce on and sat bouncing away for nearly 45 minutes when a midwife came to do my observations (blood pressure, temperature, pulse etc) and whilst still bouncing my waters broke!

From then on the contractions started, they were coming roughly every 3 minutes and lasting for nearly a minute each! 

Around 7:30pm the contractions were getting stronger but I was managing to breathe through them. I was examined and was 4cm dilated and the midwife gave me a sweep. Shortly afterwards (about 7:55pm) we were taken down to the delivery suite, we left all of our bags on the ward, I don’t think the midwives were expecting us to need them quite so quickly.

I was given gas and air, which didn’t help a great deal, however it did give me something to concentrate on rather than the pain. The gas and air makes your mouth really dry which is horrible! 

From here it’s all a bit of a blur, I remember thinking to myself about asking for some more pain relief then everything sped up and the next thing I knew I was shouting “I can feel pressure”. I was quite panicked as I never experienced this feeling with Ella due to having an epidural. After a few pushes, a lot of hand squeezing and shouting, Noah arrived at 8:27pm. He cried straight away and was placed on my chest. I couldn’t believe he was actually here, it all went so quickly I just couldn’t comprehend it. I watched Lee cut the cord then it was time to deliver the placenta which seemed more of a struggle than actually giving birth! I had an injection to help but the cord was really thin so the midwife couldn’t pull it too much incase it snapped. I think it was quite close to me having to go to theatre to have the placenta removed but I managed to deliver it in the end.

Shortly afterwards Noah latched on to breast feed like a dream and has done ever since. We were given the delightful post-birth tea & toast- the best meal you will ever taste!! After Noah had finished feeding he had his vitamin K injection and was weighed & dressed. We were left to enjoy some time with Noah and for me to have a shower while the midwife filled in our paperwork then we were taken up to the ward around midnight.

Noah slept really well, I had to wake him to feed every 3 hours. We were discharged the next day around 3pm, I couldn’t wait to go home & see Ella, although I was a bit anxious about how she would react to Noah, however, she was brilliant and has been ever since. They have already bonded so well, Ella strokes Noah’s head and gives him kisses unprompted, she chats away to him and says ‘hello baby what you doing?’ She really does love him and has adjusted to the change so much better than we expected. We are so fortunate to have 2 beautiful, healthy children who we love to pieces.


2 thoughts on “Noah Anthony Charles Wilcox | 21.06.17

  1. Aww! Congratulations again Hun!
    Such an amazing feeling!
    Gave me a tear in my eye just thinking back to my birth! I can’t wait to do it again- is that strange? Haha!
    They grow up so quickly! I wish they’d stay small for longer!
    Lots of love to you all! X


    1. Thank you! Aww, it’s amazing what our bodies can do isn’t it?! Crazy how you forget the pain so quickly aswell! They definitely do grow up too quickly, I’m going to hold onto Noah as a baby for as long as I can! Hope you and beautiful Arabella are well! xxx


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s