*I do not intend to offend anyone by this post. Neither being a working mum or a stay at home mum is the ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ decision, you just do what’s best for you and your family. I completely admire working Mums, however at the time, going back to work wasn’t going to be best for our family. These are just my thoughts, feelings and opinions.*
While I was pregnant, I had all intentions of going back to work (eventually)! However, time was creeping up on me, I’d spent 9 months with my baby, it dawned on me that I wasn’t ready to go back to work. Weighing up the pro’s and con’s was so difficult and I’m not a great decision maker at the best of times!
I looked into going back to my job, or even getting a new job. The main issue was whether it would be financially beneficial for me to go back to work. Where we live there’s nothing within walking distance so there was the cost of fuel to take into account as well as child care costs.
Eventually I made the decision that I wasn’t going to go back to work, there were a few reasons why:
- I didn’t want to miss out on Ella growing up. Lee works a lot of hours, so I thought if I was working part time Ella wouldn’t see a lot of us.
- Financially, we wouldn’t be much better off. Not enough to make it worth me going to work.
- This one sounds silly, but it was a genuine reason! The time I’d have to get up in the morning in order to get myself & Ella ready, drop Ella to a childminder then drive to work. It would’ve just been ridiculous, and Ella was still waking up for night feeds when she was 9 months old so I would’ve been an actual zombie! Obviously I’d do it if I absolutely had to, to make ends meet, but fortunately that’s not the case!
- Ella was still breastfeeding & I was crap at pumping! (She wouldn’t take a bottle anyway!)
- Childcare is so expensive, I just couldn’t justify paying someone else that much to look after my baby so I could go to work and near enough break even!
- I was worried I would miss Ella too much and that she’d miss me and would be unsettled for someone else. Around the 9 month mark she was quite clingy towards me. And to this day, we haven’t had longer than 4 hours apart from each other (and that was a one-off!)
Comment & let me know your situation on being a working or stay-at-home Mum, I’d love to hear all about it x